2012. január 20., péntek

FreeBSD

Respect!

I thought I would like to learn an other Unix-based system in addition to Linux. I chose FreeBSD.

There are three main BSDs: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD. I chose FreeBSD because a lot people use it so its user camp is bigger than the others. There are BSDs based on FreeBSD such as GhostBSD and PC-BSD but I wanted to build a BSD-from-scratch :)
The system is great! I love it! I wouldn't like to partition my main HDD so I used my "new" 200GB IDE drive and I plugged off my main HDD's cable :)

The package management is similar to Gentoo's pkg-management. There is a system called ports in BSD, which allows you to customize each package you want to install, and ports can handle dependencies. It has a very great advantage: All the packages are compiled on your system, so the packages will be fully optimized to your system, which means performance increase.

I installed xorg, gnome, firefox, sudo in approximately 3 hours. There were problems with my graphical card, because there are no drivers from AMD to FreeBSD and compiz was not working with the original xorg drivers. I tried everything I could, with no success.

So I formatted the drive and installed it to my home-server :) (this will be the next article)

If you are an advanced Linux user, try BSDs, they are great! :)


Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése