2011. március 20., vasárnap

DD-WRT on my TP-Link TL-WR741ND

Hey boys and girls!

I bought a router about 2 months ago to share my internet connection in my house and be able to play LAN games with my little brother :)

I chose the TP-Link TL-WR741ND v2 router, because it has great specifications such as wireless lite-n, QOS and so on. As you know this router is capable to run DD-WRT, which is az open-source firmware based on Linux.

I have used the router for 2 days, but I got angry that my router disconnected from internet in 20-30 minutes. I was afraid about flashing DD-WRT but I was also angry about this disconnecting-problem. I tried to flash newer official tp-link ROM to my router, but it didn't solved my problem. So I decided to flash DD-WRT.

The method is
If you want to flash firmware, do it on your own risk!
I am not responsible if you transform your router into a brick!
I've got this model:


(1) Download firmware for your router from DD-WRT Router Database site. Use the search, and download the appropriate firmware for 741ND. You will found 2 firmwares. factory-to-ddwrt.bin and webflash.bin. Download the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file to your computer. Don't be afraid about version numbers, the v1.x firmware is okay for v2, too.
(2) Do a 30/30/30 reset. Plug the adaptor in to your router. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then pull out the adaptor wire, but hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then plug in the adaptor wire again, but hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
(3) Pull out the WAN cable from your router, but don't pull out the LAN cable. For flashing use wired connection. ATTENTION: DON'T DISCONNECT ROUTER FROM COMPUTER  DURING FLASHING. DON'T PULL OUT ADAPTOR CABLE!
(4) Log in into your router. Use the 192.168.1.1 IP address. The default username and password is admin. Go to firmware update. Browse your downloaded factory-to-ddwrt.bin file. Then upload the firmware. BE PATIENT! I REPEAT MYSELF, DON'T DISCONNECT ROUTER FROM COMPUTER AND DON'T PULL OUT ADAPTOR CABLE! The firmware uploading takes about 1-2 minutes. After it, wait 5 minutes, for the browser redirecting (to the router new DD-WRT admin screen) then do a 30/30/30 reset again
(5) Set up your router :)

The new firmware improved the wireless range, and my router isn't as warm as before flashing DD-WRT.
I am glad that Linux controls my router :)

Good luck :)

Screenshot:





6 megjegyzés: